Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Getting to know you...

   When we moved into our house on Preston Drive, it was painted various shades of a color I like to call "Dusty Camel."  Now, for some people "Dusty Camel" might be right up their alley, but it wasn't cutting the mustard for me! That being said, I was overwhelmed with the need to paint, paint, and paint some more! Ironically the first room I worked on didn't require me to paint any of the walls, my first completed (for now) room was that of our oldest child, Little Man's room, at 5 years old he was obsessed with superheroes, but he favored Spiderman the most.  His favorite color is blue and I wanted the room to have a vintage feel to it so I wanted more muted shades of the blue.  Since Little Man is closing in on the age of sleepovers, whether it be one of his school friends or one of his cousins, I felt there should be two twin beds in his room.  First I decided to build the headboards, I had some fence boards that I had from a forgotten project, and cut them down to the width of a twin size mattress and stained them a rusty blue.




 
  I attached those boards on to two long pieces of 1x3's and hung it on the wall. I had found some overhead lamps on a super sale at Pottery Barn Kids and knew they would fit perfectly with the look I was going for for Little Man's room.  The hubby helped me screw them into the headboards and feed the wire threw the slats so they could then be plugged in.  These lights have become one of the best parts of the room, Little Man loves to read and spends at least 20 minutes every night reading before going to sleep.

Then I added some superhero artwork to his walls, don't mind one of the kidlets hanging out in the game room in the background.  The Spiderman and Batman wall hangings over his desk are actually corkboards from Pottery Barn, and the three tin signs across from the foot of his bed are from Third Monday Trade Days in McKinney, Texas.
       The finishing touch to the room was completed about a week after I took these photos. I had purchased a 2 drawer horizontal filing cabinet from Goodwill, spray painted the shell a royal blue and used chalkboard paint on the drawer fronts. I love everything about this filing cabinet turned dresser, the drawers are super deep, the chalkboard drawer fronts makes it so that Little Man can put away his own laundry, and it fits in perfectly with his room! (Sorry for the grainy cell phone picture!)

        Hope you liked Little Man's room as much as he does! There are some finishing touches that I would like to make to his room, but for the minute it is good, and that just means a follow up post will be coming! Thanks for stopping by Preston Drive, come back soon!


4 comments:

  1. I love this room! I really love the headboard so much! Such a fantastic idea! When my little guy gets a little older I might have to do this! I am so happy you have a blog now! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! That was so sweet of you, if you need help when it comes time to work on your little guys room let me know!

      Delete
  2. Your headboard are perfect for a little boys room. Great choice on the shade of blue too. I'm sure your son will enjoy this room even when he starts to grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendi! That was the idea, I love when the main staples of a kid's room are able to grow with them. It is so much easier to change comforters and wall décor than it is to change/make new headboards! Thanks for stopping by, hope that you will come around often!

      Delete